Thursday, April 7, 2011

Any rough times are behind you.

Oh, how I don't believe you.
There was another big earthquake near Sendai today.
I almost weeped, but stopped short and just yelped.

In the wake of March 11th, I have joined the mass Japanese oversea population searching for a way to take part in the disaster .... or more like a series of disasters. Some have organized charity bazaar, some charity concerts, some donation rally, and we have also attended these events. In many ways, we all wanted to suffer, somehow believing that by sharing pain, we can somehow alleviate the pain of those direct victims who lost their homes, families, friends, etc. I hoped to make a difference, by doing something that others cannot do. I volunteered to translate the technical documents dealing with radiation fallout simulations for a national institute here in France. I am trying to quantify the internal irradiation hazard from contaminated food consumption following several scenarios. But am I really contributing by doing any of these things? I don't know. Perhaps not. Am I conceited to think that there's something I can do that others cannot? Well, I probably am. Now I can only hope that my act of arrogance and self-satisfying acts can benefit the Japanese public.

No comments:

Post a Comment